The CNaVT exam is an official, international exam of Dutch as a Foreign Language for all who learn Dutch all over the world. Bypassing the exam, a language learner proves that he or she has mastered enough Dutch to be able to speak it, listen, read and write in certain contexts. People learn Dutch for a variety of reasons: to go on holiday to the Netherlands or Belgium for example. Or to study, live or work in a Dutch-speaking environment. For this reason, the CNaVT has developed different profile exams. The language learner can choose which profile (exam) suits his or her needs best. One can choose out of the following:


Civic integration exam and naturalisation test

Anyone who has obtained a Dutch as a Foreign Language Certificate can be granted an exemption for the ‘Dutch’ part of the Dutch civic integration examination for public and government jobs and projects (reading, writing, speaking and listening). Naturalisation is the process of obtaining a PR, right by birth to nationality, residence through marriage to a Dutch national. Immigration procedure can be checked here. Language requirement to start in higher education Recognition of the STRT and EDUP certificates Most Flemish and Dutch universities of applied sciences and universities recognize the certificates for Educational Start-Skilled (STRT) and Educational Professional (EDUP) as proof of sufficient language skills to start a study.

Required language skills for an appointment in Flemish education

To be able to exercise a position in Flemish education, a staff member must have sufficient knowledge of Dutch. The required knowledge of Dutch is not the same for every staff member but depends on the office in which the staff member is appointed. The Dutch as a Foreign Language Certificate serves as proof of the required level of knowledge of Dutch.

Required language skills for an appointment in Dutch education

Recognition of the CNaVT certificate EDUP primary school teachers with a foreign study. Teachers who wish to teach in primary education, special primary education or secondary special education in the Netherlands can be granted a teaching qualification for a fixed period if they have a suitable foreign diploma ‘primary school teacher’ and if they also possess are of a Dutch language proficiency certificate, for example, the Educational Professional Certificate(EDUP).

Register sworn interpreters and translators in the Netherlands

Recognition of the CNaVT certificate EDUP Interpreters and translators can be enrolled in the Sworn Interpreters and Translators Register (Rbtv) of the Wbtv Bureau (part of the Legal Aid Council) if they meet certain conditions, including command of Dutch at C1 level. They can demonstrate this level by obtaining the Educational Professional (EDUP) certificate.

The ALTE Q label

In 2015, the Educational Start Skilled exam (STRT) was awarded the ALTE Q label. The Q-label is proof that the exam meets all quality requirements of ALTE, the Association of Language Testers in Europe.

Maatschappelijk Informeel
For those who want to maintain social contacts with their Dutch-speaking family or friends. Also for those who want to demonstrate that they can manage as a tourist in a Dutch-speaking area, or for those who want to communicate with Dutch-speaking tourists in a non-professional context in their own country. Language level A2.
Maatschappelijk Formeel
For those who have an interest in the Dutch language and culture or want to live in the Netherlands or Belgium for an extended period of lime Language level B1
Zakelik Professioneel
For those who would like to work in an administrative or service-oriented profession and therefore need Dutch (e.g. as a secretary or bank employee) Language level B2
Educatief  Startbewaam

For those who would like to study at a Dutch-speaking college of higher education or university Language level: B2