RUSSIA FACT FILE
- Official Language: Russian
- Capital: Moscow
- Population: 144 Million
- Government: Federation
- Currency: Russian Rouble (RUB)
- National Colours: White, Blue & Red
- Major Mountain ranges: Ural, Altay
- Major Rivers: Amur, Irtysh, Lena, Ob, Volga, Yenisey
- Time Zone: UTC +2 to +12
- Calling Code: +7
- Russian is an East Slavic Language native to Russians. It is an official or co-official language in Russia, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan. Russian belongs to the family of Indo-European languages, one of the four living members of the East Slavic languages alongside, and part of the larger Balto-Slavic branch. There is a high degree of mutual intelligibility between Belarusian and Ukrainian.
- Russian is the largest native language in Europe, and the most geographically widespread language in Eurasia. It is the most widely spoken of the Slavic languages, with over 258 million speakers worldwide. Russian is the 7th most spoken language in the world by the number of native speakers and 8th most spoken language in the world by the total number of speakers. The language is one of the 6th official languages of the United Nations. Russian is also the 2nd most widespread language on the internet, after English. Russian is written using the Cyrillic Script.
Some Fascinating Russian Language Facts
- Russian is the mother tongue for 147 million people, and another 113 million speak it as a second language. In terms of the prevalence (number of native speakers), Russian is the 5th language in the world (after English, Chinese, Spanish and Arabic).
- If you want to become an astronaut, you have to know Russian. Nowadays, it’s a requirement for NASA applicants to know the Russian language.
- The Russian language is considered as one of the richest and most complex languages in the world. The grammar of the Russian language is very complex therefore it is rather difficult for outsiders to learn it. It is quite easy to master the basic level of knowledge, but it’s very difficult to reach the professional level. Even for many Russians, the literate language is unreachable.
- This is not surprising, Russian literature is incredible and in fact, many people learn Russian for the literature. The language definitely attracts the smarter crowd for this very reason.
- Russian shares strong similarities with Belorussian and Ukrainian. With the adoption of Christianity, a new alphabet was developed – the Cyrillic alphabet. Russian was standardised during the 18th century, and then simplified after the Russian Revolution of 1917.
- There are only about 200,000 words in the Russian language. This number has doubled since the 19th century, when only 50,000-100,000 words were recorded in dictionaries. This number is very small compared to the English language, which is comprised of over 1,000,000 words. Russians actually use very few of these words, and you will find that due to this many words have more than one meaning.
Some Interesting Facts About Russia
- Russia is the biggest country in the whole world. It is also the only country washed by a dozen seas. Its area is also known – 17,075,400 square kilometres.
- The Trans-Siberian Railway is the longest railway on our planet. The road was continuously built for 25 years – from 1891 to 1916. It cost 1.5 billion Roubles to build it and about 300 million Roubles to reconstruct it after the Civil War. The Great Siberian Way has a length of 9298 kilometres. It crosses 8 time zones, passes through 87 cities and towns and crosses 16 rivers, including the Volga.
- Russia is home to some 20 percent of the world’s trees, and one-fifth of the world’s freshwater is in Lake Baikal.
- The official language is Russian and it’s the first and only language of just over 80 percent of the population. There are more than 100 minority languages, the main one being Tatar; 3% of the country speaks Tatar. Other minority languages include Bashir, Circassian, Chechen, Chuvash, Dolgang, German, Mordvin, and Ukrainian. Most people who speak a minority language also speak Russian.
- Russia has the biggest nuclear arsenal in the world with an estimated 7,700 warheads, it holds just under half of all the nuclear weapons in existence (the US has the second biggest store).
- According to the Global Rich List 2015, Russia has a total 93 billionaires (those valued with assets at more than USD 1,000,000,000), the 4th largest number of billionaires in the world after the US, China and India. Many Russian billionaires saw their fortunes fall in the last couple of years due to a number of factors, not least the drop in global oil prices. Some rich Russians hire fake ambulances to ensure that other drivers let them get through Moscow’s terrible traffic jams.
- Russia is the world’s largest producer of crude oil and the 2nd largest producer of natural gas (after the US). The state-run gas monopoly Gazprom (GazovayaPromyshlennost) is the largest producer and exporter of natural gas in the world.
- The economy of Russia is an upper middle income mixed and transition economy. It is the 5th largest economy in Europe. The 11th largest in the world in terms of nominal GDP, and 5th largest by purchasing power parity.
Russia Culture: Customs & Traditions
The Russians still celebrate pagan holidays, many people believe in numerous omens and legends. Christianity gave Russians such great holidays as Easter and Christmas, and Paganism – Maslenitsa (Shrovetide) and Ivan Kupala. Old traditions are passed on from generation to generation. Russian culture has a long and rich cultural history, steeped in literature, ballet, painting and classical music. While outsiders may see the country as drab, Russia has a very visual cultural past, from its colourful folk costumes to its ornate religious symbols.
Why choose Langma School of Languages for learning Russian Language
- Langma School of Languages has made the transition to a centre of excellence in Russian language.
- Our international team provide exceptional training in Russian language; the wide range of programme is provided by both native speakers and experts of different origin, all our faculty are extremely proficient and experienced, thereby offering the highest standard of training.
- Langma School of Languages’ objective is to provide exceptional teaching to students of all ages and levels, from school standard to professional, academics no matter what background or discipline they are engaged in, and we aim to exceed the expectations of our students by providing outcomes derived from the excellence of our training.
- Langma’s programme would provide the highest standard of foreign language training and encourage sustainable development with innovation in an environment of creative language acquisition.
- If you are looking for knowledge based interactive programmes leading to success in the field of Russian language, Langma School of Languages has everything you need all under one roof.
- Langma School of Languages is committed to providing the best standards of teaching and corporate training and enabling you to reach the peak in your domain.
- The main aims and objectives of Langma School of Languages, to provide unfettered access to the study of Russian language for all sections of society.
- We at Langma School of Languages firmly believe in the concept of the global village. With the advent of a multi-faceted digital world, this concept is more significant now than ever before and foreign language has become the link language.
- Our teaching methodology lays emphasis on Speaking, Writing, Listening, and Reading skills. We have evolved an interactive method that focuses on effective communication skills. Through our method we enable learners to have quick grasp of the Russian language. They are able to frame sentences quickly, thereby facilitating communication. Our interactive approach kindles an interest in verbal and social contact with others. The module relies heavily on audio-visual tools. This makes for easier learning and greater facility in Russian Language. A vast collection of Audio and Video CDs give the students a chance to see how the language is spoken by native speakers.
BECOME A MASTER IN RUSSIAN LANGUAGE WITHOUT LEAVING HOME.
Langma School of languages offers classroom and online Russian language training to students according to their availability and we are the only language centre which offers classes round the clock. Our programmes are designed to suit the need of individuals. Now our classes are offered round the clock and one can avail these classes just after submitting their application and course fee. One can learn as per their convenience. Our classes have proven to be beneficial for those who are excessively occupied in their work during working hours.
LANGMA FACULTIES FOR THE RUSSIAN LANGUAGE
Leads and guides others to develop new skills or knowledge that will enhance their work. Design, develop, and delivers training programmes which cater the need of our students. Our teachers would help students to understand how to communicate information to individuals or groups, how to deliver presentation suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience. Students are taught the importance of clear and concise written information or writing to individuals or groups to ensure that they understand the information and message. Our teachers are highly qualified and possess years of expertise in the field of teaching, listen carefully to students and address the problem appropriately. Our teachers possess a designated level of professional skills and knowledge in specific area and keep the current with developments and trends in the area of expertise.
Experience Professional and authentic Russian Language classes with our Qualified Native-Speakers
Beginning with a very small setup, Langma School of Languages has grown by leaps and bounds. It has been instrumental in providing Russian Language instruction to millions. It has successfully conducted seminars and placed its students in the field of BPO, Event Management, FMCG, Aviation, and PR. Our team focus on customised training. The organisation is well-equipped with classrooms, auditorium, and an elaborate computer networking. Teachers are well qualified, experienced in the field of language training, experts in areas like grammar, accent, group discussion, and etc. Langma School of Languages is competent enough to take up any assignments from the target groups.